Thursday, December 01, 2005

Acorn Squash

I have already sent Shauna, the Gluten Free Girl, a fan letter about her site, and then she got me thinking about winter squash. I bought spaghetti squash about a month a go, planning to cook it pasta style when Noah got to it before me and tried to roast it. That didn't work quite right. It was all stringy and the wrong consistency. I'll try again soon.

I had an acorn squash on the shelf and used Mark Bittman's 1st way to cook them: cut in half, scooped out, and then put butter & salt and pepper, and cooked @ 400 degrees. He also suggested some sweetener: brown sugar or maple syrup, but I forgot. He suggested an hour, I took it out at 45 minutes and it was probably ready at 30 minutes. I think Shauna cooked it pretty much the same way, maybe with olive oil and sea salt.

Although I already knew it was supposed to be delicious, mouth-watering, etc... I wasn't prepared for how simply good it was gonna be.

My dad has a tendency to find one recipe that he really likes and then cook it every four days for the next six months. I'm pretty sure I have the same problem. Luckily How to Cook Everything suggests 2 more ways, and I'll try those before forcing my dinnermates to eat more of Acorn Squash the same way again and again every night for the next month.

Even though that's all I want for dinner tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home