Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Kaye's Flank Steak

I've been helping my mom with this recipe since I was a kid. It originally came out of a Taste of Pittsburgh style cookbook, named "Faye's Flank Steak." I crossed out the F and replaced it with K, making it my mom's. We had this almost every non-lent Friday nights growing up, usually with green beans, baked potato, and salad, with corn on the cob or pasta salad in the summer. Now I make it usually with sweet potato something, rice, salad, and steamed vegetables.

Ingredients

1 flank steak. I usually buy them when they are on sale.
1/4 cup wheat free tamari.
3/4 cup oil. I go back and forth as to what kind of oil, but usually use olive oil unless I 'm feeling cheap.
3 T. honey
1 tsp. dried ginger or a chunk of diced fresh ginger
little garlic
sliced onion

Cooking part

Mix the tamari, oil, honey, ginger and garlic. Pour over steak in casserole pan. place sliced onions on top. Cover in refrigerator, turn after 4 hours. Let marinate another 4 hours or so, grill (or broil) for about 4-6 minutes on each side or to taste. It doesn't take a long time to cook. Cut into the middle to see if its cooked to your liking. Watch out for high flames, as the marinade might catch fire.

Place the onions in a foil packet and grill along with the steak. Don't forget about them, or they'll turn into a carmelized goo.

Take the steak off the grill and let rest on a cutting board or platter for about 10 minutes. A lot of juices are gonna drain out, and you can reserve these if you wish. Slice thin strips across the grain.

This is good as leftovers on a salad too.

Serves about 4.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home